HOW TO KNOW WHAT PROTECTIVE STYLE WON'T DAMAGE YOUR HAIR










I believe that not all protective styles favor all hair types. Some protective styles out there will damage your hair. Here are some tips to figure out which protective style will work best for you, especially if you are a Nigerian.

SEW INS, CROCHET BRAIDS AND CORN ROWS:


I do love my sew ins and corn rows and I rocked these hair styles when I was transitioning and even though they looked good in the end, however if you do not straighten your hair with a flat iron before putting your hair in a cornrow, you risk damaging your hair because of the strain required to put your hair in a cornrow before achieving these type styles.

If you want to make any of these type of hair styles and you are a transitioning, natural or texturized, girl, please do make sure you straighten your hair first with a blow drier or flat iron (preferably at home by yourself, these stylist in this country don't care about your hair), another method is to box braid your own hair while damp into six or seven parts and leave to dry or blow dry.This will definitely straighten out your hair and reduce the strain on your hair.

For my relaxed ladies this is definitely good for you. Do remember to tell your sylist to fly your edges, we need them edges on fleek baby.


BOX BRAIDS:


This is definitely my go to protective style, it doesn't cause too much strain on my hair and even after I have had it in for a long time it still looks good and even starts to look like dreadlocks...lol.

I do believe though that this hair style is better tolerated on people with transitioning, texturized or natural hair. it stays moisturized and detangling as you take down the box braids is easier.

If your hair is relaxed most especially when the weather is really hot I will recommend you do not carry box braids for more than 3-4weeks, as it will get dry and sweat and dirt will form a ring around the joining point between your hair and the weave and this will definitely lead to breakage.

N.B: Twisting for some reason leads to serious tangling for all hair types, so I do advice you carry them for as short a time as possible, for me i would say 3-4 weeks.


WIGS: 


This is hands down the safest way to protective style your hair, and it works well for all hair types. If not that the wigs I like are too darn expensive, all I will do is wear wigs. It causes no strain on the hair whatsoever.


What proective styles do you love wearing?

2 comments: